My Mother-in-law had been very kind enough to pack me some of her idiyappam flour and I had the opportunity to try idiyappam for the first time in my life yesterday. The best combination for idiyappam would be coconut based vegetable kurma. Other than that, idiyappam can be taken together with fresh grated coconut and sugar sprinkled all over. It can also prepared as karaa sevai, though I am not very interested in having that. My all time super combination is idiyappam with veg kurma and here is the recipe.
For preparing Idiyappam –
- Idiyappam Flour – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Boiling hot water – 1 cup (or less than that)
For Veg Kurma –
- Mixed vegetables (carrot, beans, cauliflower, potato) – 1.5 cups
- Onion chopped – 1/2 cup
- Tomato chopped – 1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Green chili – 1 or 2
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Salt – as req
- Garam Masala powder – 1tsp
For Idiyappam –
- For preparing the idiyappam flour, wash raw rice in water 2 – 3 times.
- Spread out a clean white cloth and let the rice partially dry out it for 2 hours in room temp.
- Blend it well into a smooth powder either in a rice mill or in a mixer grinder.
- The idiyappam flour is ready.
- Take required quantity of the flour in a mixing bowl. Bring water to boil with salt added.
- Pour hot water and knead the idiyappam dough to a ball consistency.
- Add 2 tsp of oil if the dough is sticky (which will not be with right amount of water)
- Take an idli pot with water and let it boil.
- Using the Mould (similar to a murukku press) with a plate that had fine holes, squeeze out the idiyappam on the greased idli plates in circular motions.
- Steam the plates for 10 – 15mins. Idiyappam is ready.
For Veg Kurma –
- Take a heavy bottom pan, Heat oil. Add mustard and jeera.
- Add onions and saute until transparent. Put in ginger garlic paste, stir for 2 mins. Add tomatoes and cook well.
- Add all the cut vegetables and cook for 10 mins.
- Blend the coconut and green chili into a fine paste.
- Add the coconut paste to the cooking vegetables and cook for 5 mins.
- Add additional water if required and put in the salt, garam masala and chili powder. Keep on low flame for 3 mins.
- Serve hot with chopped coriander sprinkled.