I had my first Au-gartin in Barbeque Nation and I fell in love with it. I love the creamy texture with lots of vegetables topped with my favorite one – Cheese! I had tried making it at home using the microwave. While it was good to taste, my audience (sister and husband) were not immensely impressed (after much hype from me). The reason being – the cheese never gets to cook or brown using the microwave. I didnt know that an OTG will do wonders for au-gratin. Suddenly last week, I had a glow bulb moment and Thought why not try au-gratin making in my little darling (otg) and tried it yesterday. I used different variety of vegetables along with potato and we both loved it. One is free to use any vegetable that doesn’t go soggy easily like carrots, beans, cauliflower. This is one easy but very tasty dish.
- Mixed Vegetables sliced – 2 cups (I used Leeks, Broccoli and Yellow Zucchini)
- Potato cubed – 1 cup
- White sauce or Bechamel Sauce – 1 cup
- Grated Cheese – Just enough to cover the vegetables
- Breadcrumbs – 1 cup
- Salt – as req.
- Oil – less than 1 tbsp
- Water – required for boiling potato.
- Take a pan, heat oil. Fry leeks. Put in the zucchini and broccoli. Cook until half done with enough salt.
- Boil potatoes (not too soft, but firm). Add salt.
- To prepare the white sauce, take a heavy bottom pan. Heat butter. Add 2 tbsp of maida.
- Fry until raw smell goes off.
- While continuously stirring, add little quantity of milk and stir quickly. Repeat the process until there is a smooth white liquid .
- Bring it to boil while stirring continuously. Add enough salt and white pepper powder.
- Now take a baking pan and fill the first layer with boiled potatoes.
- Next layer is formed with the cooked vegetables.
- Pour the white sauce all over these vegetables and spread it evenly.
- Fill the next layer with breadcrumbs and press slightly with your hand.
- Cheese forms the final layer and spread it evenly all over the breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven on 180°C for 10 mins. Bake the Au-gratin for 20 mins until the vegetables and sauce is firm.
- If required, toast for 5 mins to get the crunchy brown layer of cheese.
- Our Au-gratin was just good with some fresh home made garlic bread.