I am so glad I made this dates cake today, which I had been postponing for no reason all along… The most exciting part of this cake is that its eggless and uses only oil – that too very less compared to any other eggless cakes. This would be perfect for the tea/coffee time. I love making cakes that use only natural ingredients and this is one such cake that uses fresh dates. Now see for yourself how healthy and low calorie this version of date cake would be – no eggs, no butter, less oil and uses a lot of fresh dates. This cake turns out to be very moist, extra soft and just melts in the mouth. I would suggest the beginners in baking to try out this cake as its very easy and nothing can go wrong.
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Milk (at room temp) – 3/4 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Chopped Walnuts – 4 tbsp
- Fresh Dates – around 20 (I used black dates)
- Preheat the oven at 18°C for 20 mins. Grease the baking tin with oil/butter and keep aside.
- If the dates are soft, grind them in a mixer to a coarse paste by adding little milk. If the dates are hard, soak them in milk for about 30 mins before grinding them.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the milk, sugar and oil until sugar mixes well.
- Now, sieve the all-purpose-flour + baking powder into the milk mixture and beat until there are no dry ingredients.
- Add the chopped walnuts and dates paste into the mixture and bring everything together.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 40 mins until the top is firm.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 10 mins and remove from the tin and cool it on wire rack. Cut into pieces.