Thankfully the Friday is here and so is the long weekend. Yay! 😀 I am going to post a very simple recipe today – an easy side dish for rice or roti that gets done in a jiffy! Usually carrot stir fry can be done in a number of ways. In an attempt to incorporate more green leafy vegetables in our diet, I have included Methi/Vendhaya Keerai/Menthi Kura/Fenugreek Leaves along with grated carrot to make a very tasty side dish. This goes really well with rice but can be had as an accompaniment to roti/flat breads as well. Fenugreek leaves/Methi are filled with nutrients and is one of the best foods for diabetic people as well. Making a colorful combination with bright orange with specks of green, it can attract the kids too 🙂
To make Carrot Methi Stir Fry
What I used –
- Grated Carrot, 1.5 cups
- Finely Chopped Methi/Fenugreek Leaves, ½ cup
- Oil, 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds, ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds, ½ tsp
- Urad Dal, ½ tsp
- Dried Red Chilly, 1 (cut into small pieces)
- Turmeric Powder, ¼ tsp
- Salt, as required
How I made –
1. In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and dried red chillies. As they splutter, add finely chopped methi leaves/Fenugreek leaves. Add turmeric powder. Mix well.2. When the fenugreek leaves have wilted, add grated carrot. Add the required salt. Mix well and stir fry for 4-5 mins. When the carrots slightly change color, switch off the flame.
3. Serve hot with rice/roti.
- I grated the carrots neither too fine nor thick. Its upto your preferences.
- The heat for this dish comes from red chillies. Optionally, green chillies can be added as well.
- A pinch of asafoetida can be added to the tempering.