One of my most favorite dishes today – Veg Noodles. I am a big fan of noodles but I hardly ever order it any restaurant. Its always loaded with oil and is quite bland. I resort to making noodles at home wherever possible. Although the instant noodles are comforting, there is nothing like noodles made with subtle flavors with lots of fresh vegetables. I use fresh red chillies for adding the required spice and just a dash of soy sauce for the Chinese touch. This would more be like the Indo-Chinese version of the Vegetable Noodles. With good quality noodles, you could have restaurant quality noodles at the comfort of your home. Whats better, its loaded with vegetables and with much lesser oil. We gobbled up the noodles as it is, but it tastes perfect with any crispy Chinese starters like Crispy Fried Dragon Vegetables.
To make Vegetable Noodles
What I used –
- Onion, 1 medium
- Garlic Pods, 4-5
- Fresh Red Chillies, 2-3
- Carrot, 1 large
- French Beans, 5-6
- Cabbage Shredded, ½ cup
- Cooked Noodles, 2 cups
- Soy Sauce, 1 tbsp
- Spring Onion, 2 tbsp
- Salt, as required
- Oil, 1 tbsp
How I made –
1. In a thick bottomed pan, heat oil. Add finely chopped red chillies and garlic pods. Fry for 20 secs. Add finely chopped onion and fry until translucent. Meanwhile, cut the vegetables into juliennes. Add them to the fry pan placed on medium heat.
2. In a pot bring a lot of water with salt and few drops of oil to boil. Cook the noodles for 5-6 mins until al-dente. Strain the noodles and run them in cold water. Meanwhile, the vegetables would be half cooked. Add soy sauce and salt to the vegetables. Mix well. Fry for 2 mins. Add the cooked vegetables.
3. Toss the noodles with the vegetables and mix everything together. Add chopped spring onion. Mix well.
4. Serve hot with spring onion sprinkled on top.
- Choice of vegetables can be as per personal preference. Capsicum, mushroom, sweetcorn or green peas can also be added.
- Fried egg can be also added if desired
- In case of red chillies not being available, green chillies can be added. Optionally, pepper powder can be added.
- Soy sauce can contain salt, so add salt to the noodles cautiously.