Growing up, I detested idlis – no matter how soft and good they were. I loved Dosas but how could Amma make them day in and day out?! So, idli it was on every alternative days. On any day, they were left over idlis, Amma prepared Idli Upma for the both of us. While Idlis were vehemently protested, Idli Upma was much loved. All Amma had to do was make a simple tempering of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, urad dal and chana dal along with some curry leaves. Her magic ingredient was peanuts. Mixed in with crumbled left over idlis, it was one of the best comfort foods. I am sure it would be a recipe for some other day. Today’s recipe is my take on Idli Upma which comes with a twist – adding good vegetables. I love the combination of carrots and green peas – it sure tasted great with crumbled idlis. Check out this quick recipe below. All you need is some chutney to go with! Makes an amazing evening snack as well. In mood to try something fun – try these Stuffed Masala Idlis!
To make Idli Upma | Vegetable Idli Upma
What I used –
- Crumbled Idli, 2 cups
- Finely Chopped Carrots, ½ cup
- Fresh Green Peas, ½ cup
- Onion, 1 medium
- Green Chillies, 1 or 2
- Mustard Seeds, ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds, ½ tsp
- Dried Red Chilly, 1
- Urad Dal, ½ tsp
- Chana Dal, ½ tsp
- Oil, 2 tsp
- Salt, as needed
- Curry Leaves, few
How I made –
1. In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, roughly cut red chillies, urad dal and chana dal. As the mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves and chopped or slit green chillies. After a minute, add finely chopped onion. Fry until translucent.
2. Add finely chopped carrots and green peas. Stir fry for a minute and add salt required for the vegetables. Cook covered for 5-6 mins on low flame until the carrots are soft.
3. Add crumbled idlis to the cooked vegetables and stir well. Check for salt and cook for a minute more. Remove from heat.
4. Serve hot as it is or with a chutney of your choice.
- Any other vegetable can be added as per preference.
- Adjust the quantity of red chillies and green chillies as per spiciness preferred.
- Salt would already be there in idli, so add salt cautiously.
- This can be made with left over idlis or fresh ones as well.