I have confessed my love for Indo-Chinese cuisine on this blog, more number of times than I remember. Our most favorite things to order when we dine out include many items from the Indo-Chinese cuisine. This also happens to be one of the most popular street foods/fast foods in India. Many a times, I replicate the same meal at my kitchen and here is one such recipe. The humble Veg Fried Rice. Rice stir fried along with vegetables and other condiments. This is the simplest of the Indo-Chinese dish that can be prepared with ease at home. There are many variations to this simple fried rice and this is how I usually prepare it in my kitchen. Garlic, Ginger, Soy Sauce and Spring Onions are the only magical ingredients for this recipe and a bowl of this rice hot-hot from the stove can be quite comforting to have. Usually, I will also add scrambled eggs to my fried rice turning it into Egg Fried Rice but then I was serving this to my parents who are vegetarians and hence skipped egg. Add scrambled eggs or boiled chicken for a non-veg version of this fried rice. I usually serve this along with something crispy like crispy fried cauliflower or crispy dragon vegetables from the Indo-Chinese cuisine. I prepared Chilly Dragon Vegetables to go along with this which was hugely popular – so stay tuned for the upcoming recipe 🙂
To make Veg Fried Rice | Vegetable Fried Rice
What I used –
- Cooked Basmati Rice, 2.5 cups (completely cooled down)
- Finely Chopped Onions, ½ cup
- Finely Chopped Carrots, 1/3 cup
- Finely Chopped French Beans, 1/3 cup
- Finely Chopped Garlic, 2 tbsp
- Finely Chopped Ginger, 1 tbsp
- Oil, 2 tbsp
- Soy Sauce,5 tbsp
- Vinegar, 1tsp (optional)
- Black Pepper Powder, 1 tsp
- Salt, as required
- Sugar, a generous pinch
- Spring Onions, a few
How I made –
1. In a thick bottomed pan, heat oil. Add finely chopped ginger and garlic – fry for ten secs. Add finely chopped onions and fry until half done. Add finely chopped carrots and French beans. Stir fry on medium flame for 4-5 mins.
2. Add salt required to cook the vegetables. Add pepper powder, soy sauce and a generous pinch of sugar. Mix well and add vinegar (if using). Stir fry for another 4-5 mins. At this stage, if using- add eggs and let them slightly cook before scrambling them. Continuously stir fry until the eggs are cooked. Make sure the vegetables/eggs don’t burn. Remove from heat.
3. Either add the cooked and cooled down rice to this veg mixture or vice versa. Give it a quick stir. Once everything is mixed well, put it on medium flame and continuously stir fry the rice and vegetables. Add finely chopped spring onions – give a quick stir. Check for salt and spiciness – adjust accordingly. Remove from heat.
4. Serve hot with spring onions on top.
- As it is hard to find short grain Chinese rice in the market here, I have used Basmati rice. Replace it with rice of your choice.
- Carrots, French Beans, Mushrooms or Cabbage can be added to the fried rice. All or any two of these will work well.
- Pepper Powder is optional – however gives the rice a little spiciness. I used black pepper powder and the turn of the rice has slightly changed.
- Vinegar is optional, but adding a little enhances the taste.
- Soy Sauce contains salt, so be cautious while adding salt to the vegetables.
- The rice has to be cooked and cooled down completely. It has to be fluffy and non-sticky for best results. I added salt while cooking the rice and salted only the vegetables while stir-frying.
- Eggs or boiled meat can be added to this veg version.
- Traditionally, these dishes are prepared at very high flame but I have used medium/low flame and slow cooked the vegetables.
- I have skipped MSG/Ajinomoto which is the taste enhancer for making this healthier. Can be added if required.