Summer is getting hot by the day in most parts of India. Until a couple of days back, standing in the kitchen was quite a task, let alone cooking elaborate meals. Salads and soups were our go-to options. Thankfully, it has been raining here in Bangalore during the evenings for the last two days, bringing in chills in the wind making the climate quite pleasant! Yay 😀
For our dinners, I had been making some quick salads – beats the heat and saves a lot of time too. I am a big lover of iceberg lettuce and when I got a big fresh batch from the market, I wanted to make a nice veggie salad. Hot or cool, I would love to make this salad again and again in my kitchen. There is not much of a recipe – you can throw in any vegetable in desired quantities and toss everything together in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil and herbs. When it is time to serve, just fill up the lettuce leaves with the tasty salad and viola – you are done!! 😀
To make Lettuce Wraps | Quick Veggie Lettuce Wrap Salad
What I used –
- Lettuce Leaves, 8-10
- Onion, 1 medium
- Button Mushrooms, 8-10
- Red/Yellow Bell Peppers, 1 or 2
- Green Zucchini, 1 medium
- Sweetcorn Kernels, ½ cup
- Cherry Tomatoes, 8-10
- Dried Red Chilli Flakes, 1 tsp
- Dried Mixed Herbs, 2 tsp (Oregano, Thyme, Parsley & Rosemary)
- Olive Oil, 1 tsp + extra (optional)
- Salt, as required
- Lemon Juice (optional)
How I made –
1. In a pan, heat 1 tsp of olive oil. Add diced onions and fry until translucent. Add quartered button mushrooms and fry until mushrooms are half done.
2. Add diced bell peppers (I used yellow) along with diced green zucchini and cook until half done. Add sweetcorn kernels along with red chilli flakes and dried mixed herbs. Add salt required and slightly toss for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and add cherry tomatoes (either full or halved). Toss everything together.
3. Wash and pat dry lettuce leaves. Fill each leaf with the veggie salad and wrap into a tight roll. Serve immediately with a dash of lemon juice.
- Any combination of vegetables can be used for making this salad.
- Don’t overcook the vegetables as they need to have a crunch.
- The veggies in this salad are added to the pan in the order of cooking time required.
- If desired, a dash of olive oil can be drizzled on top of the served salad.
- Lemon juice is optional and can be added just before serving if desired.