It had been my longtime dream to make tacos at home and frankly speaking, I don’t know what stopped me for so long. I still remember the day Taco Bell opened an outlet near our home and the entire neighborhood went crazy. There were long queues for more than a month – don’t ask me why and as I said, people went gaga over it *including moi*
The first time I bit into their crispy shell taco, I fell in love with their creamy cheesy sauce and the best tasting potato nuggets. The next time around, I felt that the quality came down and the third time I detested it. Now that exactly is the problem with store bought food.
So after a little research I found that the taco shell is nothing but a version of the plain old roti I make every single day. Of course, authentically it could be totally different but then I thought why couldn’t I make it with whole wheat flour. And then I followed a tip I found on the internet to bring out the perfect taco shape. It worked like magic. Read on the recipe to find out more.
When I was thinking about what to stuff into my first ever homemade taco, I remembered this Tawa Paneer Tikka and it sounded just perfect. To top it off we had some colored bell peppers and I just tossed them up in some olive oil with some herbs/spices. And luckily I had some egg-less cheesy chipotle sauce handy and drizzled it on top of the taco. These tacos turned out simply amazing and great for my first attempt!
To make Homemade Whole Wheat Paneer Tikka Tacos
What I used –
For the Whole Wheat Taco Shell –
- Whole Wheat Flour, 5 cups
- Salt, as needed
- Oil, 1 tsp + extra for cooking
- Water, as needed
For the Bell Pepper Stuffing –
- Colored Bell Peppers, 2 large
- Onion, 1 large
- Olive Oil, 2 tsp
- Garlic Powder, ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Flakes, 1 tsp
- Salt, as needed
For the Paneer Tikka Taco Assembly –
- Paneer Tikka, as needed
- Eggless Cheesy Chipotle Mayonnaise, as needed
- Iceberg Lettuce, as needed
- Lemon Wedges, to serve (optional)
Prep Work –
1. In a bowl, add whole wheat flour, salt as needed and add water little by little and knead the dough soft & pliable. Add 1 tsp of oil and knead again. Set it aside for 5-10 mins.
2. Chop onions and bell peppers length wise. Set them aside.
3. Prepare Paneer Tikka as per this recipe. Set it aside.
4. Preheat the oven at 180°C for 10-15 mins.
How I made –
1. To prepare the taco shells, take a medium sized ball of the prepared dough and roll it thin.
2. Meanwhile heat a flat tawa and cook the rolled out taco for ~30 secs on each side. Apply some oil on each side of the taco.
3. Set the prepared tacos on a greased grill stand so that each taco forms a shell. Put this in the preheated oven on toast mode for 5-7 mins until crisp. Remove and set it aside.
4. To prepare the bell pepper stuffing, heat olive oil. Add chopped bell peppers and onions along with salt needed and on high flame stir fry for 3-4 mins. Add red chilli flakes and garlic powder. Remove from heat.
5. To set the Paneer Tikka Tacos, take a prepared taco shell. Add shredded iceberg lettuce as the first layer followed by bell pepper stuffing and finally paneer tikka. Drizzle the cheesy chipotle mayonnaise on top.
6. Serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side.
- Follow the recipe of Paneer Tikka here.
- Soft Tacos can be prepared in advance and then put in the oven when ready to serve.
- Assemble the tacos only when ready to serve as they can become soggy.
- Don’t overcook the bell peppers as they need to have a crunch.
- If you don’t have garlic powder, use finely chopped garlic instead.