Let me confess upfront. This is not my recipe, rather my husband’s. It is because of him I have been enjoying this Sharjah milkshake for a few years now 🙂 This recipe has quite a bit of nostalgia and I think I must write about it. So when the husband and I were mere friends during our college times, he introduced me to this addictively delicious milk shake that is common in every juice shop across Chennai. So what started a decade ago is still being made at our household just that we are no longer mere friends but companions for life 😀
Sharjah Shake is made with ripe bananas, dates, dry fruits and a good helping of chocolate syrup. It is so rich especially with dates and dry fruits blended in, that it is fitting to call it Sharjah shake. As bananas are the base for this milkshake, it is thick and sweet. You could scoop it up actually! It is super simple to make at home and quite filling too. So here is how the husband made it the other day.
Sharjah Shake | Banana Dates Smoothie
What I used –
- Cold Milk, 2 cups
- Ripe Bananas, 2 medium ( or 3 small)
- Dates, 5-6 (Soft and de-seeded)
- Dry Fruits (Almonds, Cashews), 4-5 each
- Sugar, 1-2 tsp (as needed)
- Chocolate Syrup, 1-2 tsp (+ more for decorating)
- Chocolate Chips, few to garnish (optional)
How I made –
- In a blender jar add cold milk, chopped bananas, soft de-seeded dates (soak in hot water for 5-10 mins if required), sugar and dry fruits. Blend until smooth and thick. Add chocolate syrup and whisk again.
- To serve drizzle chocolate syrup around the edges of the glass to serve. Pour the milkshake and drizzle chocolate syrup on top and top with dry fruits or chocolate chips.
- Serve immediately.
- Instead of cold milk, frozen milk can be used.
- Choose ripe bananas that are sweet.
- I used soft dates but if the dates are hard, soak them in hot water or milk for 5-10 mins.
- Adjust sugar as per the sweetness of the bananas.
- I used store bought chocolate syrup but instead boost/bournvita or even sweetened cocoa powder can be used.