Hasselback Potatoes.. sigh! Imagine thin crisps of potato chips heavily fragrant with rosemary and garlic with a good squeezing of lemon juice, still resembling the spud. Not only it is absolutely delicious, it is a thing of beauty too! I swear I could have looked at those potatoes all day long without getting tired at all.
The best part about making these Hasselback potatoes is that it combines the best of two recipes – oven roasted potatoes and oven made potato crisps. While the top half of these potatoes are wafer thin and are super crispy, the bottom part is soft and well roasted. Another highlight of this recipe is how we can completely forget about it once we put it in the oven. It takes almost an hour to make this but I would say it is well worth the time and the effort involved.
I have been planning on making Hasselback potatoes since so long. I could finally execute it recently when I chanced upon fresh rosemary in the supermarket. Having never tried fresh rosemary before, I was blown away by the flavor of it. All you need is a few sprigs of rosemary to have the entire house smell divine! Combine it with garlic and olive oil, it simply is a match made in heaven. I squeezed a good amount of lemon juice on top once after baking and it was out of the world. Except for the initial prep work, this is such a simple recipe!
Hasselback Potatoes with Rosemary, Garlic and Lemon
What I used –
- Potatoes, 3 (medium or large)
- Rosemary Sprigs, a few
- Garlic Pods, 6-7
- Olive Oil, 5 tbsp
- Salt, as needed
- Pepper Powder, as needed
- Lemon Juice/Lemon Wedge, 1 tbsp/half
How I made –
1. Scrub and wash the potatoes to remove any dirt or grit and pat them dry. Starting from one end, cut slits on the potato making sure not chopping it off entirely. Try to keep the slits in uniform size. Place them in the baking tray.
2. Peel off the garlic skin and cut them into thin slices.
3. Wash off the rosemary and pat it dry.
4. Insert a slice of garlic in each slit of the potato. This helps separate the layers and crisp them up easily.
5. Insert sprigs of rosemary in every slit of potato. Drizzle olive oil all over the potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper powder on top.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 60 mins or more until the tops are crisp and golden. Brush olive oil on top in between if required.
7. Serve hot with more fresh rosemary sprigs and lemon wedges on the side.
- It would be better to use equal sized potatoes and I learnt it only after I started baking.
- For cheesy version, add grated cheese on top.
- Rosemary is optional and this would work with just garlic too.
- Instead of olive oil, butter can also be used.
- Oven timings change depend on the make of the oven make. Keep a check on the potatoes after 45 mins.