Most of the week days, I resort to making simple roti and a vegetable side dish to go along with it. Thus when the weekend comes, I go that extra step to make it special. It was during one such weekend recently that I made Garlic Naan. When the bread is not so ordinary, it deserves a nice restaurant style gravy to go with it, isnt it?! That’s why I made this Paneer Tikka Masala gravy.
I love tikkas, especially when made at home. Traditionally tikkas, be it paneer, mushroom or pineapple is made in a special Indian oven called the tandoor. At home it is not possible to have a tandoor oven but easily those recipes can be replicated on a stove top or an OTG. I have made paneer tikka on a flat pan on stove top before and for this recipe, I used my oven.
As such Paneer Tikka is very delicious. When it is simmered in a spicy gravy, it makes a perfect side dish for any Indian bread. This recipe of Paneer Tikka Masala is very simple. It does take some time but it is totally worth the effort, especially since the result is just top class.
I have made this Paneer Tikka Masala twice already since attempting it the first time (sad story: lost my pictures again! What’s with me and losing pictures often.. sigh) and it is much loved at home. I used fresh cream for giving this gravy some creaminess but for a low calorie version, use beaten curd/yogurt. For making this vegan, use tofu instead of paneer/cottage cheese and some cashew/almond cream instead of fresh cream. Check out the detailed recipe and notes below for few tips and tricks.
Make Paneer Tikka Masala at home following this simple video recipe below. Do subscribe to my Youtube channel and share your feedback!
Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe below –
Detailed step by step picture tutorial to make Paneer Tikka Masala –
Prep Work –
1. Preheat the oven at 180°C for ten minutes at least.
How I made –
To make Paneer Tikka:
1. In a bowl, add cubed paneer/cottage cheese pieces, cubed capsicum and cubed onions.
2. Add curd, Kashmiri chilli powder, red chilli powder, fennel powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, salt, ginger garlic paste and oil.
3. Using your fingers, gently toss and mix everything until paneer cubes are well coated. Close and rest this for 20-30 mins.
4. Insert the marinated paneer, capsicum and onion cubes onto skewers. Don’t insert more than 5-6 pieces per skewer. Repeat this with rest of the marinated paneer tikka.
5. In a preheated oven, grill these at 180°C for 12-15 mins or until all the sides are golden brown. If placing on a rotisserie grill, there is no need to turn the skewers. Otherwise, turn them every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking. Set these aside.
To make Paneer Tikka Masala:
1. In a microwave safe bowl, add cubed onions and tomatoes.
2. Add some water and microwave on high for 4-5 mins until both tomatoes and onions are cooked. Let this mixture cool down completely.
3. In a blender, add this cooled down onion-tomato mixture and grind it smooth.
4. In a pan, heat oil. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few secs until the raw smell is gone.
5. Now add prepared onion tomato paste and mix well.
6. Next add in all masala powders – red chilli powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, sugar and salt as needed.
7. Mix everything well and cook on medium flame, closed.
8. Stir occasionally as needed and cook the paste until it comes together and there is no raw smell.
9. Add fresh cream and crushed kasoor methi. Mix well. Cook on low flame for another minute.
10. Add prepared paneer tikka and mix well. Add fresh coriander leaves and remove from heat.
11. Serve hot with some Naan or Kulcha or any Indian bread.
- Paneer Tikka can be made on stove top too – refer this recipe.
- It is optional to cook onion tomato base in microwave. Alternatively boil them in a pan with some water on stove top.
- Instead of fresh cream, thick beaten curd can be used (for low cal version) or substitute it with cashew or almond milk/cream.
- Adjust spices as per preference.