I adore Pasta and it features atleast once a week in our weekday dinners. When I had got my pasta maker, I went crazy trying out different kinds of pasta from scratch at home. There is nothing like the magic of fresh homemade pasta and a dash a homemade sauce. Recently I turned my homemade pesto sauce into Pesto Pasta by adding a lot of fresh veggies.
If there is one thing I am yet to try, that has to be homemade Penne or Fusilli pasta. I have tried making Farfalle or bow pasta at home and that is not very difficult but how does one make these tubes or twisted pasta at home. Any pointers on this would be highly appreciated 🙂 So for this Pasta recipe, I resorted to store bought Penne Pasta. A little sad I know, but the rest of the stuff made it for it.
As I had my fresh Basil Pesto I fancied a nice pasta dish but tried to turn it a little healthy too. Luckily I had some broccoli, green zucchini and mushrooms. I roasted them on a pan along with some garlic and red onions. Tossed the pasta along with the pesto sauce and a dash of lemon zest along with some lemon juice. It was delicious, even if I say so myself. This has become quite popular at our home and is repeated with assorted veggies every week almost 🙂
How to make Pesto Pasta with Vegetables –
Detailed step by step picture tutorial of making homemade Pesto Pasta with Vegetables –
1. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of Olive Oil. Add chopped garlic and fry for few seconds making sure not to burn.
2. Add chopped red onions and fry until translucent.
3. Meanwhile blanch Broccoli florets in some salted water for 5 mins. Drain water and set aside.
4. Add chopped mushrooms and zucchini to the fried onions and saute for 4-5 mins.
5. Add blanched broccoli florets and saute for another 3-4 mins.
6. Add salt as needed for the vegetables followed by the mixed Italian dried herbs, red chilli flakes and pepper powder. Cook for a minute or two.
7. Add cooked pasta and toss it well.
8. Now add the pesto sauce and saute it along with the pasta for 2-3 mins.
9. Remove the pasta from heat. Add lemon zest and lemon juice.
10. Serve hot with cheese grated on top (optional).
- Pesto Sauce recipe here.
- I cooked the pasta in lots of salted water until it is soft but still has a bite to it. Drained the additional water and set it aside.
- Choice of vegetables is as per preference. From baby corn to corn kernels to colored bell peppers, anything can be used.
- This stir fry of a pasta might get a little dried out once cooled down. Just before serving, reheat it by sprinkling some plain water or water reserved from cooking pasta.
- This pasta freezes and stores well for a couple of days in the fridge. Reheat in microwave before serving.
Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart