Healthy, colorful and delicious Hara Bhara Kabab is a vegetarian appetizer bursting with flavors makes for a filling snack and is so easy to make with this step by step pictorial recipe!
It’s been my dream to make Hara Bhara Kabab at home, don’t ask me why 🙂 And I don’t know why I had put it off for so long until now. The first time I tried this vegetarian Kabab was at a restaurant during one of our office team lunches. It was not great but I kind of liked how colorful it was and wondered how delicious it would be if done right.
Hara Bhara Kabab is aptly named so. It is loaded with healthy greens and makes for perfectly healthy snack or an appetizer. The main ingredients that go into making of this are spinach, green peas and potatoes. The best part is that it is neither deep fried nor shallow fried. It is just seared on a flat pan and very little oil is used in the making.
Hara Bhara Kabab can be made ahead of time, either frozen or refrigerated and when ready to serve, all it takes is five minutes to sear them on the pan. Serve these healthy kababs with ketchup or some mint chutney or sweet tamarind dates chutney – you will have a winner. I served these Hara Bhara Kabab with carrot yogurt dip and some pickled onions!
How to make Hara Bhara Kabab –
Detailed step by step picture tutorial of making Hara Bhara Kabab –
1. Boil spinach leaves in water for 2-3 mins.
2. Remove them from hot water and immediately add them to cold water. This is called blanching.
3. In a blender jar, add blanched spinach along with blanched green peas and coriander leaves.
4. Blend into a coarse paste and set aside.
5. In a pan, heat oil. Add cumin seeds and as they splutter, add finely chopped onions and fry until translucent. Next, add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell is gone.
6. Add boiled potatoes and mash them in well.
7. Next add the prepared spinach green peas paste.
8. Mix everything together and add red chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, dry mango powder and turmeric powder along with salt.
9. In another pan, dry roast gram flour/besan until nutty aroma comes up.
10. Add it to the potato, spinach and green peas mas, mix well.
11. Prepare Kababs of desired size and shape, set aside.
12. Heat a flat pan and drizzle few drops of oil. Place the prepared Kababs on the hot pan and cook on low flame until the bottom is golden brown.
13. Gently flip onto other side and drizzle some oil around the Kababs, cook until golden brown.
14. Serve hot with any dip or chutney or ketchup!
- Kababs can be prepared ahead of time and stored in deep freeze or fridge until ready to use.
- Make sure boiled potatoes, spinach and peas are drained off the water as much as possible. Or else, Kabab mix will be runny and shaping can be difficult.
- Adjust the amount of gram/flour or besan depending on the consistency of the mixture.
- Adjust spices as per preference.
Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart