Creamy, rich and spicy Dum Aloo recipe, golden fried baby potatoes cooked in a delicious gravy! Easy video recipe to make restaurant style aloo dum at home.
A couple of years back I posted Dum Aloo recipe, the one that has neither onions nor garlic. This is an adapted version of the same but with lots of onions! The first time ever I made Dum aloo was a good 15-16 years back when I was still a school kid. I had watched this recipe being made by a famous Tamil chef (forgot his name) on TV and gave it a try, especially since the sister and I love potatoes. It turned out quite delicious and has been a staple in our house.
This recipe of Dum Aloo is a little spicy, uses fresh ground masala and is so perfectly creamy too, thanks to the cashews. Dum Aloo literally means potatoes cooked in dum/closed or sealed pot. The longer the potatoes are cooked, better the texture and flavor.
Traditionally, these small or baby potatoes are deep fried until golden and then cooked in the gravy for long on low flame. However, in today’s world when cholesterol, fat blah blah are the center of any food discussion – I went on low calorie by shallow frying the potatoes – gets the same result.
This restaurant style dum aloo recipe goes really well with any Indian bread – I served it particularly with whole wheat laccha paratha, which happens to be my favorite. It turned out to be a spicier version of my regular dum aloo but a welcome change! With the squeeze of some lemon juice and pickled onions, it was better than any restaurant stuff – try this to trust me.
Check out this simple dum aloo video recipe below –
How to make Dum Aloo –
Detailed recipe of making Dum Aloo Recipe –
1. First grind all the ingredients under Dum Aloo Masala into a smooth powder. Set this aside.
2. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and fry potatoes until golden brown on all sides. Remove them from pan and set aside.
3. In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and add 2 dried bay leaves. Next add finely chopped onions and fry until translucent.
4. Next add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell is gone.
5. Add tomato puree and cook well until the gravy thickens. Next add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, sugar and salt. Cook again for 4-5 mins until the raw smell goes off.
6. Add water as needed and add golden fried potatoes. Cook on low flame for 12-15 mins until the gravy thickens.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with any Indian bread.
- For making tomato puree, blanch tomatoes in boiling water, remove the skin and blend smooth.
- Adjust spices as per preference.
Reach out to me at email@example.com! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart