Step-wise picture recipe to make easy and preservative-free Homemade Orange Marmalade. This recipe for Orange Marmalade is luscious, rich and just delicious. Make a big batch of this today and store this for a quick spread.
So I have a thing for Oranges. I just love them with all my heart and some more. To be very honest, if I am given a choice of between Mangoes (another one of my favorites) and Oranges – I would choose the latter without a blink. Whats not to love about an orange? This is me now after years of not liking this fruit at all. Taste buds work in a strange way, I have come to realize 🙂
Orange is my favorite flavor to work with and just a tinge of it is enough to fill a room with nice, fresh fragrance. When I had made my Orange Poppy Seed Mini Bundt Cakes, the entire house smelled of oranges and cake, which is like the best thing ever. Nothing like the freshness of Oranges, really. So recently when I had a bunch of oranges, my first thought was to make a preserve. Whats better than making homemade Orange Marmalade, I thought.
For any preserve to be made at home, the fruit used should have pectin (either natural or added) and it is best found in any citrus based fruits. With homemade Orange Marmalade, that’s why there are zero added preservatives. Just fresh oranges, sugar and water – that is all it takes to make this simple Orange Marmalade at home.
The best thing about Orange Marmalade is how it is a perfect blend of sweet, bitter and tangy elements coming together in harmony. I just love the slight bitterness and the bite of orange rind, so I added a little more than usual. The zest of orange along with the rind and fresh fruit with juice makes it such a loaded preserve. It keeps well for over a couple of months in the fridge without losing the fragrance or taste or freshness. Trust me, once you have made your own jar of Marmalade – you will never go for store bought stuff again!
I spread this on a slice of my Semolina Whole Wheat Bread and it was oh-so-delicious! And yes, it spreads like a dream.
How to make Homemade Orange Marmalade –
Detailed step by step picture recipe of making Homemade Orange Marmalade –
1. Peel off the Orange skin and separate out Orange Segments, discarding any seeds. Carefully collect any juice that might ooze out. It is alright if the segments are squished up.
2. Cut off the white part of the orange peel as much as possible and keep only the orange part of the skin – this is called rind. I used the rind from 3/4th of an orange for a slightly bitter marmalade. Ideally, 1/2 an orange’s rind should be enough. Chop this rind into small pieces.
3. Take zest of half an orange (without the white part) and set it aside.
4. In a pan, add orange segments along with juice, rind and zest.
5. Pour 1/2 cup of water and let this come to a boil on medium flame.
6. Keep cooking this covered for 12-15 mins on low flame until the orange rind is soft.
7. Add sugar to the cooked orange pulp.
8. Mix it well and it becomes watery again.
9. At this stage, cook the marmalade on low flame until it begins to thicken up.
10. Slowly it begins to get glossy and thickens up fast, keep cooking on low flame.
11. When it is no longer watery and begins to come together, remove it from heat.
12. Let it cool down completely and then transfer it to an airtight glass jar. Keep refrigerated. Spread it on a slice of toasted bread, enjoy!
- Adjust the quantity of sugar based on the sweetness of the oranges and the amount of rind used.
- Don’t cook the marmalade for long once it begins to come together. When it cools down, it hardens up too.
- Use pots that dont react to orange when making marmalade. I used non-stick pan, it was just fine.
- Store this in sterilized glass jar that is completely dry.
Reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart