Step-wise picture recipe to make Thai Vegetable Yellow Curry – a mild, fragrant and flavorful curry made with cottage cheese/tofu, mushrooms, zucchini and other vegetables.
I absolutely adore Thai curries and it is one of my most favorite things after Thai Fried Rice, that one thing I love ordering when we eat out. I have already posted Thai Green Curry and Thai Red Curry recipes here and making Thai Vegetable Yellow Curry was on my list forever. Recently I got my hands on some fresh lemon grass and the first thing that came to my mind was this curry.
Just like most of my Thai inspired recipes, I twisted this recipe a little with the ingredients I had in my pantry and used veggies that were available at that moment. I used paneer/cottage cheese instead of tofu and I have never had any luck finding Galangal/Thai Ginger or the Kaffir Lime leaves. So I used regular Indian ginger and Lemon Zest/Juice to prepare the curry paste.
As Thai Green Curry gets its green color from Fresh Coriander Leaves/Cilantro and Thai Red Curry from Thai Red Bird Eye Chillies, Thai Vegetable Yellow Curry gets its color from Turmeric. As there are not much of green/red color inducing ingredients, this is mild in comparison to the Thai Green/Red Curries and probably that’s why it is not easy to spot this on a restaurant menu. Nevertheless, this is very fragrant and equally delicious especially with flavored rice – be it brown or white. I served it along with some brown rice and it was a big hit – check it out on my Instagram!
How to make Thai Vegetable Yellow Curry –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Thai Vegetable Yellow Curry –
1. Grind everything under “For Thai Yellow Curry Paste” adding 1 or 2 tbsp of water as needed.
2. The paste should be smooth/fine.
3. In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil and add the prepared curry paste.
4. Saute it until the water evaporates and there is no raw smell anymore. Add sugar and salt as needed and cook it for a minute.
5. Next add the turmeric powder and cook again for a minute or two.
6. Now add chopped vegetables and stir-fry them for 4-5 mins on low flame.
7. The vegetables should be half cooked by now. Add soy sauce.
8. Add thin coconut milk and let the gravy come to a slow boil.
9. As the vegetables are 3/4th cooked and the gravy is simmering, add thick coconut milk.
10. Add Thai basil leaves and curry powder. Cook only for a minute or two on low flame and remove from heat. Serve hot with any flavored or plain rice.
- Adjust spices as per preference.
- Add more or less of turmeric powder depending on the color you desire.
- The vegetables should retain some crunch so don’t cook them for too long.
Reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart