Step-wise picture recipe to make delicious and filling Open Butter Masala Dosa, one of the easiest yet tasty variety dosa recipes! With a little prep ahead, make this masala dosa for a quick breakfast or dinner.
So am back with my breakfast recipes after a minor unintended break and this recipe here is a personal favorite – Open Butter Masala Dosa. Ideally this was supposed to be out last week but as I said, am having to take a lot of unintended breaks this year. Definitely not what had planned earlier or want now but when there are a 100 things going on in your life, some stuff takes back seat and unfortunately in my case, this blog has taken a beating. Nevertheless, one always hopes. I am just going to work harder, push myself a little bit more and share a constant stream of recipes in the coming weeks. Again, hope is the word.
Anyway, I digress. Most often when we want to catch a quick meal outside, my favorite thing to order is Sambar Idli followed by this Karnataka specialty – Open Butter Masala Dosa. Coming from Chennai, I am no alien to the varieties of dosai or Masala Dosai in particular. That said, I was pleasantly surprised to see this open butter masala dosa on the menu in one of the local restaurants. It was so very different, with chutney powder sprinkled all over the dosa. And it was so delicious too.
As the name suggests, Open Butter Masala Dosa is all about the potato masala smeared generously all over the dosa and topped with butter (lots of it) A regular masala dosa is thinner and is folded in half after the masala is spread but this open dosa is slightly fluffier and is kept open. With melting butter and fresh grated coconut, it is delicious to the core. As it is super simple to make at home, I began making it at home – a good variation from the regular dosa and since it has chutney powder and masala smeared all over it, there really is no need for a side dish. But who can say no to coconut chutney?! 🙂 Try it out this weekend for a leisure, delicious breakfast.
How to make Open Butter Masala Dosa | Masala Dosa Recipe –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Open Butter Masala Dosa | Masala Dosa Recipe –
1. Heat a flat pan/dosa tawa and slightly grease it with oil. Take a ladle of dosa/idli batter and pour it on the hot pan, spread it slowly into a thick dosa.
2. Sprinkle coconut chutney powder all over the dosa and drizzle oil/butter around the dosa.
3. Place 1-2 tbsp of potato masala and smear it over the dosa.
4. Sprinkle grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves. Remove from the pan. Add more butter on top as needed.
5. Serve hot as it is or with coconut chutney or any chutney of your choice.
- If you have leftover Potato Masala, this works out really well.
- Check on the recipes for coconut chutney powder, potato masala, idli batter.
- Usually for this recipe, idli batter turns out much better than the dosa batter as we need fluffy dosas.
Reach out to me at email@example.com! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart