Step-wise picture recipe to make Karnataka Special Akki Roti, a flat bread made with Rice Flour. This gluten-free breakfast indulgence is both healthy and delicious too!
My last breakfast recipe in my mini- breakfast series is Karnataka Special Akki Roti, a flat bread made with rice flour, grated carrots, finely chopped dil leaves, green chillies and other spices. Very long ago, I posted Ubbu Roti recipe which is again made with rice flour and the best thing about these rice flour based flat breads is that they are light and easy on the stomach. Moreover, these are gluten free recipes that are perfect for anyone and everyone.
Though I have made akki roti a few times before, I wanted to try a traditional recipe. Instagram has given me many good friends in a very short span of time and one such person is Malathy I loved her Akki Roti posts so much that I asked her for the recipe one fine morning and she immediately shared it with me. One of the reasons why I love Instagram over any other social media – not just because I made many friends but also ‘cos it is the most positive social media as of now. So, this recipe is courtesy my IG friend, albeit one small modification (roasted peanuts for the win) that I again thought of because of one of the posts on Instagram.
I mostly eye-ball the ingredients for making this akki roti but just for the purpose of this recipe, made sure I measured everything, including the water quantity. Experts would pat the roti directly on a hot griddle but me being an amateur chose to do the patting offline on a baking sheet. It was totally fuss free. The first few times I made Akki Roti at home, I used my nonstick tava to cook it – it was not brown enough for my liking. So for best golden brown and crusty Akki Roti, use a cast iron griddle. Traditionally it is served with a blob of butter on top but this time I used coconut oil and it was as much delicious too! Best served with coconut chutney on the side but honestly, I wouldn’t mind eating it as it is 🙂 Here is another version of Akki Roti, based on a TV show.
How to make Akki Roti –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Akki Roti –
1. In a large mixing bowl, add finely chopped onions, grated carrots, finely chopped dil leaves, roasted peanuts and finely chopped green chillies. Add salt as needed.
2. Mix well with hands until onions start leaving water.
3. Add rice flour and mix it well.
4. The mixture would look crumbly.
5. Add water little by little and knead into a dough that is neither too tight nor too loose. I approximately needed 1/2 cup of water.
6. Heat the iron tawa/griddle and meanwhile, take a tennis ball sized dough and pat it flat on a baking sheet.
7. Slowly continue patting it into a thin circle and make a hole in the center.
8. Carefully overturn the baking sheet onto the hot greased tawa.
9. Pat it for a few seconds and gently remove off the sheet.
10. Drizzle oil/butter around the edges and let the roti cook for 1-2 mins on medium flame. Flip it to the other side and cook again for 1-2 mins or until golden brown. Repeat the same with rest of the dough.
11. Serve hot with coconut chutney or any side dish of your choice.
- Making hole in the Akki Roti is optional however I would recommend it as this will help release the steam and keeps roti crisp around the edges of the hole too.
- Peanuts are optional but we love the taste. Alternatively fresh avarekalu/hyacinth beans can also be added.
- Fresh dil leaves are a must and the flavor is too good to miss.
- Adjust spices as per preference.
Reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart