Step-wise picture recipe to make lip-smacking, delicious Indian style Instant Raw Mango Onion Pickle! Kanda Kairi is Maharastrian special version of Raw Mango Onion Relish that is sweet, sour and spicy.
Recently my friend from work introduced me to this really simple yet very delicious Instant Raw Mango Onion Pickle, called as Kanda Kairi. Kanda means onion and Kairi is Mango in Marathi and this is just a simple raw mango onion relish, special from Maharashtra.
I got her mother-in-law’s recipe and was blown away by how simple it was. I mentioned this to Amma and for someone who has seen so many varieties of pickles, this seemed like a welcome change. She was game along with me and we both tried it together.
This recipe of Kanda Kairi, instant raw mango onion pickle is very similar to the instant raw mango pickle that amma makes during the summer but I really loved the tones of sweetness, along with the sourness from mangoes. This is kind of sweet and sour mango pickle with hints of onion – another unique thing about this instant pickle. It takes less than 6hrs to make this pickle and am sure you can enjoy as soon as it is made too – if you are impatient like me.
Kanda Kairi or the Instant Raw Mango Onion Pickle is essentially grated raw mango, onions along with spices like salt and red chilli powder. Whats different about this mango pickle is that there is jaggery added along with the spices – giving it a slight sweet taste. If you can, wait for 6-8hrs and then temper the pickle – that’s it! Your Instant Raw Mango Onion Pickle is done.
I enjoyed it with rotis, parathas, sambar rice, curd rice and even idlis – it is simply delicious as a side dish. If you are like me, looking for a sweet, sour and spicy mango pickle – this is definitely for you. It is very simple, easy to make even for the first time cooks and keeps well for about a week in the fridge. If you don’t like onion, just don’t use it and still the pickle would be delicious. But I would urge you to use grated onion along with mango for this pickle – it really is very unique and different from all the instant mango pickles out there!
How to make Instant Raw Mango Onion Pickle | Kanda Kairi –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Instant Raw Mango Onion Pickle | Kanda Kairi –
- Grate both the mango and onion finely, mix well.
- Add salt as needed (I used 1/2 tsp), red chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix well. Set this aside for 6-8hrs. Both the mango and onion would leave water.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, methi seeds, roughly torn dried red chilli and let them splutter. Finally add asafoetida and switch off the flame. Let this cool down completely.
- Add this tempering to the prepared onion mango mixture and mix well.
- Serve as a side dish for any rice or roti or paratha. Keep in an airtight glass/plastic container in fridge for upto a week.
- Adjust spices as per preference.
- I roughly used 2:1 ratio for mango and onion – adjust this depending on your taste preferences.
Reach out to me at email@example.com! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart