Rich, creamy and extremely delicious Badam Kesar Kulfi is very easy to make at home! Easy homemade Kesar Badam Kulfi is one of the best Kulfi recipes. Detailed step-wise pictures and simple recipe to make Kulfi at home.
The next in my series of homemade popsicles is a very delicious yet very simple – Badam Kesar Kulfi. Kulfi ice cream is very popular in India and often known as the traditional Indian ice cream. It is made from slow boiling the milk until it is almost reduced in half and then natural flavoring substances are added to make it even more delicious! There are countless Kulfi flavors these days but my favorites remain to be Badam Pista Kesar Kulfi or Malai Kulfi. At home, I would love myself some Mango Kulfi – remains to be super hit for everyone at home.
As the name of the recipe suggests, Badam Kesar Kulfi literally means a Kulfi ice cream made with Almonds (Badam) and Saffron (Kesar). This Kulfi recipe is as rich and as creamy as a Kulfi can get. I used fresh ground paste of blanched almonds and cooked the milk with lots of kesar/saffron. You could also add pistachio slivers or almond slivers for an exotic version of the same. Freeze the kulfis and after 8hrs – you get the most amazing homemade Kulfi ice creams!
As a kid, I remember eagerly waiting for the Kulfi-wala and he notoriously used to come late in the nights, ringing that distinct bell on his pushcart and trust me, all of us kids used to run down to have our kulfis. It used to be small, perfect for a quick treat, little watered down (definitely not creamy and rich as this Badam Kesar Kulfi) and would melt in minutes 🙂 It cost next to nothing and yet the nostalgia is priceless. As I was clicking pictures of this Kulfi on a hot afternoon, I could do nothing but smile at the melting poodles of my Kulfi within minutes and remembered my childhood days. Nostalgia apart, I hate clicking frozen treats and especially when I cant keep them from melting. Sigh, had to make do with what I could click in less than 10 minutes. That being said, make this at home and I am sure you will never buy a Kulfi from store again!
How to make Badam Kesar Kulfi –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Badam Kesar Kulfi –
1. Soak almonds in hot water for 10 -15 mins.
2. Remove the skin and add them to a blender along with green cardamoms. You can also use cardamom powder.
3. Grind into a coarse paste adding very little water as needed.
4. Boil the milk on low flame, mixing occasionally until it is slightly thick, scrape the edges and let it heat up on low flame.
5. Add saffron along with the ground almond paste and keep stirring continuously.
6. As the mixture thickens, remove it from heat and add sugar. Mix well.
7. Let the Kulfi mixture cool down completely. Pour into Kulfi moulds and freeze for 8 hrs or overnight.
8. To unmould, run the moulds in tap water (at room temperature) and carefully insert ice cream stick and pull it out. Serve immediately.
- It is recommended to use full cream milk to get creamy Kulfi.
- Adjust the quantity of sugar depending on the taste preferences.
- Add cashews or pistachios while grinding the paste for additional flavor and creaminess.
Reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart