A quick starter recipe Gobi Tikka made on stove top grill pan with easy step-wise pictures. Learn how to make spicy Gobi Tikka or Tandoori Cauliflower Tikka on stove top and oven. Tandoori Gobi starter recipe is excellent as party snack!
I love making Tikkas at home and I have already shared Paneer Tikka on stove top, Paneer Tikka in oven, Hariyali Paneer Tikka recipes on this blog. Recently I had a thought on what else could be used to make Tikka, especially for vegetarian lovers like me. I had a big fresh cauliflower staring at me and my initial thought of making Gobi Golden Fry or Gobi Manchurian was pushed aside and my mind was set on making Gobi Tikka Masala! I immediately mixed spices up for marinating the cauliflower florets and set up to make this amazing snack that was yet to be grilled.
I gifted myself a few things during my US visit earlier this year and one of those was this Lodge Grill Pan – something I wished to have in my kitchen since quite a few years. I absolutely love the grill marks and the low calorie + quick option of grilling things on stove top. I had inaugurated it with classic grilled vegetables with herbs and spices sprinkled on top but had been looking for ways to show off here 😉 Truth be told, I was inspired to try out this Gobi Tikka recipe only because of my grill pan!
As I had the grill pan, I made this Gobi Tikka (Tandoori style Cauliflower Tikka) on stove top. You don’t necessarily need a cast iron pan but it comes highly recommended for making tikka recipes on stove top.
Why Cast Iron –
First off, it retains heat really well which is what is needed for making tikkas and they get a golden brown char, equivalent to cooking them in a tandoor oven. It is thick and sturdy, ensuring even heating. When it is seasoned properly, it works better than a non-stick pan. If you don’t own cast iron, you can buy it on amazon (check the link below)
It is still possible to make Gobi Tikka or Paneer Tikka at home, in an oven. Once the tikka sticks turn golden on a side, turn them slightly and let the other sides cook. This has to be done until it is golden all over! I just used my basic paneer tikka recipe and used gobi/cauliflower instead. This Tandoori Gobi recipe is slightly on the spicier side so serve it with mint yogurt dip with a side of onions and lemon – it will surely get you a lot of praises!
How to make Gobi Tikka | Cauliflower Tikka –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Gobi Tikka | Cauliflower Tikka –
1. First boil the cauliflower florets with salt until they are half cooked. Should take not more than 5 mins.
2. Once cooled down, add florets to cubed onions, tomatoes, capsicum along with spice powders – red chilli powder, garam masala powder, chaat masala, coriander powder and cumin powder along with salt. Add thick yogurt as well as besan/gram flour.
3. Mix well making sure the spices are coated on the vegetables equally. Set this aside for 20-30mins.
4. Heat the grill pan and grease with oil. Meanwhile, insert the marinated vegetables to a skewer in the order of a cauliflower floret, onion, capsicum and tomato – repeat this till the end of skewer. Prepare all the skewers and apply any left over marinade on top.
5. Once the pan heats up, switch the flame to medium and place 2-3 skewers at a time, drizzle or spray oil on top. Turn them over every couple of minutes until all the sides are cooked and golden brown.
6. To serve them hot, keep them in a preheated oven at lowest temperature until ready to serve. Or just heat them up before serving. On the sides – onions, lemon wedges and mint yogurt chutney!
- It is important to use thick curd and besan/gram flour acts as a binding agent.
- Adjust spices as per preference.
- It is possible to make this completely on stove top or in an oven. To make it oven – place the skewers on a greased tray and broil/grill at 200°C for 20-25 mins, turning the skewers from time to time.
Reach out to me at email@example.com! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart