Nellai Potato Roast, also known as Tirunelveli Urulai Roast is a spicy potato stir fry recipe, great as side dish for rice with sambar, rasam or curd. Simple to make Potato Roast with step wise picture recipe.
I made this Tirunelveli Urulai Roast with Nurge Gashie and it was match made in heaven. I was not aware of this style of roasting potatoes until I read about it in a cook book “Simply South” by Chandra Padmanabhan. As I love everything potatoes, I had to immediately try it out and it turned out amazing.
The best thing about this Nellai Potato Roast is the use of fresh spices – simple yet alleviates your dish to next level. With this Tirunelveli Urulai Roast, fresh onion and red chilli paste is added while roasting boiled potatoes and it was such a flavor bomb!
If you love potatoes as much as me, you should check out the other potato recipes –
I made this Tirunelveli Urulai Roast in my trusted Lodge cast iron pan and it resulted in perfectly crisped up edges while the centers remained almost soft. This goes really well with any kind of rice as one of the best side dishes. Pair it with sambar, rasam or curd rice and it also tastes delicious with plain white rice and ghee!
How to make Tirunelveli Urulai Roast | Nellai Potato Roast –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Tirunelveli Urulai Roast | Nellai Potato Roast –
1. Boil potatoes along with skin in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle. Let pressure drop naturally, peel off the skin and chop them into cubes.
2. In cast iron pan, heat oil and add all ingredients under tempering (except curry leaves). As mustard seeds splutter and urad dal turns golden, add curry leaves.
3. Meanwhile, make a smooth paste of raw onions and dried red chillies.
4. Add this paste to the pan and fry on low flame for 5-6 mins.
5. Cook off the onion paste until the raw smell is gone.
6. Next add cubed potatoes.
7. Stir fry for a couple of minutes and add salt as needed along with turmeric powder. Keep frying on a low flame for 4-5 mins.
8. Add gram flour/besan and mix well. Roast on low flame for another 10-12 mins until potatoes cubes are crispy on the edges.
9. Finally add chopped coriander leaves and remove from heat.
10. Serve hot with rice, sambar or rasam or curd as side dish.
- Adjust spices as per preference.
- Boiled potatoes should retain form/shape and just cooked and should not be mushy.
Reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart