Make the best homemade Mushroom & Spinach Ravioli with Basil Pesto, with a simple and easy recipe with step-wise pictures! Best Italian pasta at home with simple ingredients.
My love for Italian needs no introduction and there are many of my favorite pasta recipes on this blog, right from making simple three ingredient homemade pasta to making exotic burnt butter mushroom pasta to alfredo fettuccine to homemade farfalle pasta, I have tried it all. It has been my dream to make ravioli at home but most recipes online seem to ask for eggs in the pasta dough. I kept putting it off until I couldn’t resist the temptation and resorted to make some homemade mushroom & spinach ravioli with basil pesto. The inspiration came from a batch of homegrown spinach, I wanted to put to good use and homemade ravioli it was!
I used my basic eggless pasta recipe to make the pasta dough and it worked really well. I used finely chopped mushrooms, spinach, garlic and cheddar cheese to fill the inside of the ravioli. A burnt butter sauce with sage would have worked really well, but given my love for pesto I made a quick batch of basil almond pesto sauce and doused the ravioli in it 😀 A few drops of virgin olive oil and a generous sprinkling of shaved parmesan, it tasted better than the pasta I have had in any restaurant!
The mushroom & spinach ravioli with basil pesto is best served hot, right off the stove otherwise the ravioli might fall flat. I would recommend cooking the ravioli right before it has to be served. And for the sauces, it can as simple as the burnt butter sauce or a rich tomato based sauce or even alfredo sauce. The important thing is to not overcook the pasta and making sure there is a bite to it, for better texture. So, here is my best recipe for making homemade ravioli. Do try it out and drop me a note/comment if you gave this a try!
How to make Mushroom & Spinach Ravioli with Basil Pesto –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Mushroom & Spinach Ravioli with Basil Pesto –
1. Follow the recipe to make pasta dough and let it rest for 10-15 mins.
2. To prepare the ravioli filling, heat olive oil in a pan. Add finely chopped garlic. Fry for a minute.
3. Next add finely chopped mushroom and sauté for a minute or two.
4. Finally add finely chopped spinach and add salt as needed. Fry for a minute and remove from heat.
5. Once cooled down, mix it with grated cheddar cheese.
6. Roll the pasta dough into a thin long rectangle either using a pasta machine or hand roll it using a rolling pin as thin as possible.
7. Place half a tbsp of the prepared filling on the rolled pasta sheet 3/4th to the bottom, leave 2cm gap between the fillings.
8. Brush the edges of the pasta sheet with water and do the same in between the fillings too.
9. Carefully bring the top of the rolled pasta sheet and tightly seal it with the bottom end of the pasta sheet. Seal around the fillings so that it makes a small square.
10. Cut each square using a knife or biscuit cutter. Make sure there are no loose ends otherwise the filling just spills while cooking.
11. Meanwhile bring a pot of water to boil. Add enough salt to the water. When it is rolling boiling, gently drop raviolis in batches of two or three depending on the size of the pot.
12. When the ravioli floats on top, it is completely cooked and can be removed. With homemade pasta dough, it takes up only 2 minutes to cook the pasta.
13. Toss the prepared ravioli in basil pesto sauce. Serve it hot with a drizzle of olive oil and shaved parmesan cheese on top.
- Get the recipe for homemade eggless pasta dough here. You can find basil almond pesto recipe here.
- To avoid the pasta from drying out, cook it only when it time to serve.
- Use different kind of sauces as per preference.
Reach out to me at email@example.com! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart