Quick, easy and best Homemade Strawberry Jam recipe with step-wise pictures! Say goodbye to store-bought overly sweet packaged jams, make the best strawberry jam at home 🙂
I love making jams and preserves at home, given my sweet tooth. I have already made Pineapple Jam, Jackfruit Preserve and Orange Marmalade, all are a big hit at our home. So the story of how I ended up making this Homemade Strawberry Jam is a bit funny and sweet at the same time. One fine day last week, my parents were out shopping for vegetables and fruits. My mom apparently spotted some organic fresh strawberries, thought I would love them and use them for my recipe trials, got a pack home. It warms my heart when I get little presents like this, from my loved ones 🙂 So obviously I had planned to make some desserts with those delicious berries.
Blame it on the expectation or that the fact that something amazing was expected out of those berries, my mind went blank. There were sitting in the fridge for a day or two and I had to push myself. When I opened the pack of strawberries, the beautiful aroma was mesmerizing and then, just like that my mom gave me an idea again! So I ended up making homemade strawberry jam that I used to make another dessert (stay tuned!)
The best part about making this homemade strawberry jam was I could control the amount of sugar that went into making it and of course no preservatives. To make jam, pectin is the main ingredient. For making jams commercially, pectin is added on top of whats already existing in the fruits but while making them in a small quantity at home, it is enough to use fruits rich in citric acid for the same effect. I used lemon juice and the natural acidity in the strawberries did the trick. This homemade strawberry jam has a soft set and deliciously spreads on breads or toasts.
I love saving used bottles and food props, one of the things I got from my trip to US was this cute little jam bottle, it is miniature sized, and I stuck a handmade label on it once I scrubbed it clean. I ended up loving it so much, I had to keep it! So that’s what my strawberry jam is featured in 🙂
How to make Homemade Strawberry Jam | Easy Strawberry Jam –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Homemade Strawberry Jam | Easy Strawberry Jam –
1. In a pan, add finely chopped strawberries and sugar. Heat it on a low flame.
2. Next add lemon juice and continue cooking on low flame.
3. As the sugar melts and strawberries are mushy, gently mash them and keep cooking on low flame.
4. It begins to thicken in next 10 mins.
5. As it begins to leave a clean trail when the spoon is dragged across, it is time to remove it from heat.
6. Pour the jam into sterilized glass jars and allow it to cool. It sets as it cools down. Keep it refrigerated for longer shelf life.
- Increase the amount of sugar upto 1/2 cup depending on how sweet or sour the strawberries are.
- The jam has to be in semi solid state for it to a soft set. It hardens up quite a bit once it is taken too far.
Reach out to me at email@example.com! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart